Right here’s a fast have a look at Monday’s Nice Bend USD 428 Board of Schooling assembly:
• Nice Bend Excessive Faculty seniors which have attained proficiency in English in a number of different world languages had been acknowledged for incomes the Kansas Seal of Biliteracy. The Seal is a press release of accomplishment that acknowledges a scholar’s readiness for profession and faculty and for engagement as a worldwide citizen. The seal is introduced with their diploma at commencement and will probably be part of their highschool file.
• GBHS graduating seniors on the Nationwide Honor Society had been acknowledged. Graduating NHS seniors have met all necessities and present a dedication to the neighborhood, and are the most effective college students within the class by way of teachers, management, and character. The Board congratulates the tutorial achievements and hours of service to the neighborhood.
• A particular word of appreciation was prolonged to Karen Shaner, Jane Isern, and several other native donors and volunteers for offering 30 bikes to the Excellent Attendance Bike Give-Away program this yr. Over the previous eight years, the group has organized and contributed dozens of bicycles given away as good attendance incentives to USD 428 elementary college students.
• A flooring bid was awarded to the low bidder, Four-State Upkeep, based mostly in Coffeyville, for $48,172. Flooring areas at Nice Bend Center college are exhibiting put on and injury of cracks and put on. Bids had been opened on June three for a number of sections of flooring within the commons and walk-off areas. The undertaking will happen in the course of the summer season.
• The board authorised 2020-2021 scholar insurance coverage. The district maintains scholar insurance coverage for school-sponsored and supervised actions. For 2020-2021 the administration really useful protection by Scholar Assurance Companies Inc., with a plan offering no deductible and a most profit per declare of $25,000. The price for final yr was $44,374.50, with a $Four,437.45 credit score for the shortened COVD-19 college closure that’s deducted from the 2020-2021 premium.
• The board authorised the Kansas Affiliation of Faculty Boards (KASB) Danger Administration Employees Compensation premium for the 2020-2021 college, $110,341. The premium for 2019-2020 was $103,128.
• Nice Bend USD 428 is the sponsoring district for the Barton County Particular Companies, which additionally consists of Ellinwood, Hoisington and Otis-Bison. The board authorised the BCSS Cooperative settlement, which outlines the phrases for providers of operation and administration in offering particular schooling providers out there to the scholars inside the member districts.
• The board authorised a quote from Brentwood Builders, Nice Bend, for $11,231 to reconfigure house at Eisenhower Elementary to raised accommodate particular schooling instruction. It additionally authorised a quote from Concrete Companies, Nice Bend, for $17,823 for concrete and drainage work between buildings at Jefferson Elementary.
• Charges for college kids in grades Okay-12 had been authorised with no change to the earlier yr. Charges are $40 for kindergarten and ECSE preschool, $55 for grades 1-6, $60 for grades 7-Eight and $95 for grades 9-12.
• Meal costs had been authorised. The one change is a 10 cent value enhance for adults’ lunches. Lunch costs are $1.85 at elementary faculties, $2.15 at GBMS, $2.20 at GBHS and $three.85 for adults. Diminished costs are 40 cents. Milk is 35 cents. Breakfast is $1 for college kids and $2.20 for adults, 30 cents for diminished meals and 30 cents for milk.
• District mileage reimbursement for fogeys and guardians for 2019-2020 was authorised at 31 cents per mile. USD 428 pays mileage reimbursement to certified mother and father/guardians for transporting college students to and from their assigned attendance middle. Eligibility is predicated on completion of the applying of scholars residing 2.5 miles or extra from the designated attendance middle and dwelling outdoors the town limits of Nice Bend however inside the boundaries of the district. This yr 111 households participated, transporting 194 college students a complete of 213,160 miles.
• The board heard stories on summer season college, college students who withdrew or dropped out from GBHS this previous college yr, and on personnel adjustments.
• Superintendent Khris Thexton gave a legislative replace and COVID-19 replace. He reported on GBHS Graduation plans, the 2020-2021 college yr, scholar meals, retiring worker recognition, negotiations with academics and undertaking updates. Thexton additionally introduced latest contributions, which had been authorised by the board.
• An govt session was held to debate the negotiated settlement pursuant to non-elected personnel exception beneath the Kansas Open Assembly Act.